Today was a very spontaneous day. I pulled some chicken breasts out of the freezer in the morning, not having anything in mind whatsoever. Later in the evening, I went for a walk with Jenny and we talked about what to do with it, we just wanted something simple. I came up with Flatbreads! This is something I have never made before and I was quite excited to try this out.
We made 2 types of Flatbreads, a Caprese salad, and paired it with a bottle of Malbec I had lying around. When we got to the grocery store, I had a rough idea of what I wanted, but I was still somewhat deciding as I went. I decided to make one Prosciutto and Mozzarella flatbread, and one Chicken, Fennel and Feta flatbread..
I think the best part of tonight’s spontaneity was the fact that I think I’ve come up with the BEST DAMN CHICKEN RUB I’ve ever tasted! This was unreal how good it was!
Turned out our dinner wasn’t as simple as I thought it was going to be. Here’s how we did it.
Prosciutto & Mozzarella Flatbread
Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium sized tomato, cut into 1” chunks
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1ts Oregano
- ½ ts Thyme
- 1 cup water
Cook down the fresh tomatoes, season, add tomato paste and rest of ingredients. Cook until thick and tomatoes are broken down. Taste for seasoning.
Bake the flatbread in the oven at 350F for 3 minutes until warm and lightly toasted, take out of oven.
Spread tomato sauce onto flatbread leaving ½” for the crust on all sides
Cut prosciutto and mozzarella, place all over flatbread.
Bake for another 5 minutes in oven until cheese is melted
Finish with fresh basil on top and brush olive oil on the crust
Chicken, Fennel & Feta Flatbread
BEST DAMN CHICKEN RUB RECIPE
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Chili Flakes
- Coriander Seed
- Salt & Pepper
1) Butterfly the whole chicken breast to make a thin breast for easy cooking, rub the entire piece with the dry rub.
2) Bake the flatbread in the oven at 350F for 3 minutes until warm and lightly toasted, take out of oven.
3) Brush melted butter all over the base of the flatbread
4) Spread pesto on base
5) Lay thin slices of fennel, and dried fennel seeds all over
6) Cut ½” feta cubes and spread around
7) Cut the cooked chicken breast and lay on top of other ingredients
8) Cook for 3-5 minutes then finish with fresh arugula and olive oil on crust
- Fresh buffalo mozzarella
- Medium sized tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil